Sunday, August 31, 2008

Getting Ready

How's everyone doing? I have to admit, I'm getting a bit nervous. My dear fiancé helped me set up my room the other day. I have to say, I'm a fan of how it ended up. (I was NOT a fan of how it started out.) I've been working into the night on posters and such. I am very lucky to be marrying into a family of teachers. They've helped me so much, both with ideas and resources. It's rather interesting not working for an actual school and having to make up my own curriculum and stuff. Also, my student is not at any specific grade level. According to the public school, she is in the sixth grade. But she has a second grade reading level and a third grade comprehension level (not reading comp, but, like, if I explain stuff to her.) Her maturity level is also somewhere in there. So I have been making a curriculum for a 12 year old 2nd/3rd grader while trying to fit in things like religion and Mass PLUS teaching coping methods and how to do things like use a microwave and vacuum. Did I mention I have no formal special education training?! Ahhh!!! At times like this the fact that I was a political science major and not a special education major becomes painfully obvious.
Don't get me wrong, I love working with Mary. I just don't like having my head in Autism books 24/7. I'm excited to really roll up my sleeves and make a difference, young naive teacher that I am. But I also feel super overwhelmed. . .young naive teacher that I am. :P
Theoretically I start school on Tuesday, but we'll see. There is stuff that still needs to be taken care of before school starts.
How are you all faring?

On a completely random note, I've been youtube-ing Catholic hymns to figure out what to have at the wedding and I found a version of Panis Angelicus by Pavarotti and Sting. mildly disturbing.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Hey, if you need any advice, let me know. My mom worked in special ed for years (and did not study it in college, either)... I can give you her email; she'd probably love to hear from someone still in the field.

You're a brave soul and you'll probably make a huge difference to this girl and her family! Remember that in the hard moments. :)